Stand in line at the grocery store, hang out in the breakroom at work or wait in front of the school for your kids and I assure at some point you’ll hear women gossiping about other women.
What is it with women talking bad about each other? I totally get it in high school, but I’m talking about grown women!
Aren’t we supposed to support each other and help each other succeed?
Woman vs. Woman: Why the Competition?
I think there are a few main reasons why women like to compete against each other instead of supporting each other.
First and foremost I believe women have been taught not be aggressive with men. They shouldn’t speak their mind, offer up an opinion or give any push back at all. When women get around other women they feel empowered, it’s their moment to voice their opinion and not hold back.
Some, not all, are insecure. If another woman is doing better than they are it makes them feel unworthy.
The biggest reason, in my opinion that women compete with each other, is that they are not happy with themselves. They’re having problems within their marriage, money issues and generally not happy.
So, how can we start supporting each other instead of competing against each other?
Here are my 5 tips!
1. Self-Reflection: If you find yourself constantly talking about other women, you need to take some time to do some self-reflection. What is the real issue at hand? Why do you have such an issue with that person? Do you even know the lady you are talking about?
2. Success: When other women succeed we all succeed! Successful women are paving the way for other women.
3. Sisterhood: Women just get each other. Another man won’t understand why you are annoyed with your husband, that you are feeling bloated or are just having a bad hair day. Be that trusted sister to another woman and the bond between women will grow!
4. Be a Positive Influence: Set a good example for the young ladies in your life. Don’t ever let your daughters, nieces or any other little girl hear you talk bad about another woman and don’t tolerate it being done in front of you. Teach them young that it’s not okay to talk bad about other women.
5. No Jealousy: There is always going to be someone prettier, smarter, more organized or more successful. It’s life! Take that jealous energy and use it to enhance your own personal strengths.